Patterns originated 2000 years ago to simulate combat with imaginary opponents, allowing the martial artist to practice attack and defence techniques in logical sequence and without risk.
The following points should be remembered when performing patterns:-
1. Patterns should start and end at the same point to increase accuracy of movement.
2. Correct posture and facing should be maintained at all times.
3. Muscles should be either tensed or relaxed at appropriate points within the pattern.
4. Patterns should be performed with smooth rythmical movements and without stiffness.
5. Motion should be accelerated or decelerated at appropriate points within the pattern.
6. Each pattern should be perfected before moving on to the next.
7. Students should know the purpose of each movement.
8. Patterns should be performed with realism and meaning throughout.